Privacy and Security Policy
www.edisoninvestmentresearch.com is owned and operated by Edison Investment Research (‘Edison’). For more information and contact details, please see ‘Edison/Contact’. Throughout this policy, Edison is referred to as ‘we’ or ‘us’ and Edison’s policies, procedures, etc as ‘our’.
Edison is committed to safeguarding the privacy of users of the site, while ensuring you receive the highest-quality service possible. Please read our privacy and security policy to understand how we use and protect the information you provide.
This policy is effective as of 8 March 2013.
1.2. Please note that by using this site, you agree with the collection, storage, use and disclosure of your personal data in accordance with this privacy and security policy.
1.3. Edison may change the content found on the site at any time without notice, and consequently the privacy and security policy may change at any time in the future. You should read the privacy and security policy each time you use the site, as access to or use of the site means you agree to the version of the privacy and security policy in effect when you use the site.
2. Information we collects and how it is used
2.1. We will store and process your personal information when you:
- register to access products or services on the site. Edison will collect personal information such as full name, company name, job title, product and research preferences, username and email address.
- place an order for a product or service. Edison will collect further information, including your telephone number and postal address.
- sign up to Edison’s email alert services. Edison will collect personal information such as your full name, company name, country of residence and the sectors in which you are interested.
- contact Edison via the site or make an enquiry. Edison collects personal information such as your full name, company name, electronic and postal contact details, as well as any other personal information you disclose in your correspondence.
How do we collect personal information?
2.2. We will store and process your information on Edison computers and databases wherever located, including outside the European Economic Areas (EEA) and in any other medium to:
- tailor the service you receive so that the site recognises you on subsequent visits and to streamline marketing communication to ensure you receive relevant information on new and existing products, and research, and to understand the way you used your account to periodically send via email (to the email address you have provided) or display promotional offers relevant to you;
- conduct market research, whereby we may contact you by email, telephone, fax or post. The information gathered may be used to customise or improve products, services and the website;
- process your orders or product access requests; and
- respond to your enquiries.
3. Information sharing and disclosure
We may share your information, including how you manage your account or site visits with other companies in the group and/or relevant third parties, and as permitted by law. However, we do not sell or rent your personal information. We may give information about you to the following, for the purposes set out below:
If you register to use the site or place an order
3.1. to Edison’s employees and agents (who may be operating outside the EEA for them to administer any accounts or services provided to you through the site;
Transfer of business
3.2. If ownership or operational control of all or part of the site were transferred, whether as part of the sale of Edison, business assets or otherwise, we may disclose your personal information to the transferee.
3.3. We may need to disclose personal information to protect Edison and our licensors’ rights and property, or to comply with any applicable law or valid legal process.
If we provide your information to the third parties described above, we will always require those parties to adhere to the same privacy and security procedures that we follow. By submitting your personal information, you agree to this transfer.
4. Transfer of information outside EEA
4.1. We have offices worldwide and as such your information may be transferred to, stored at, or processed at a destination outside the EEA in our group of companies.
4.2. By submitting your personal data, you agree to this transfer, storage or processing. We will take necessary steps to ensure your data is treated and processed securely and in accordance with this privacy and security policy.
5. Aggregated information and tracked information
We may share non-personal aggregated data about visitors and users of the site as well as, but not limited to, research report downloads/open statistics, webcast view/load statistics, sales and traffic patterns with our clients, partners and other third parties. This information does not identify users in any personal capacity, but provides generalised information about the users of the site.
6.1. While on this site, certain information is automatically logged. This information may include, but is not limited to, the URL of the website that linked you to this site, your IP address and the pages you visit while browsing the site. The IP address highlights the location from which you are accessing the internet. IP addresses are not used to track your session and are not linked to anything personally identifiable.
6.2. Cookies (small text files that contain information, which are sent to and stored on your computer, smartphone or other device used for accessing the internet) are used to allow us to recognise when you return to the site using the same device and web browser. Cookies and other automatically tracked information are used to:
- identify repeat visitors and account users;
- personalise your experience;
- assist us in understanding how users browse the site so that it can administer, support and improve the site and the services it offers; and
- contact you to request you to update your personal records, or confirm your registration details if you forget your password.
6.3. To check and update your cookies settings, you will need to know which browser you are using (eg Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Firefox, Safari) and the version you have. You can usually find this information by opening the browser, clicking on ‘Help’ and selecting ‘About’. Further information about deleting or controlling cookies is available at www.AboutCookies.org.
7. Third-party sites and endorsements
8.1. As required by the UK Data Protection Act 1998, we have established strict regulatory and security procedures for the storage and disclosure of information that you provide, to prevent unauthorised access to or disclosure of the information collected online. In particular, we encrypt your account password to prevent your account details being accessed by anyone else using the internet.
8.2. Despite using encryption and technology, we cannot guarantee the security of the information you disclose. You accept the inherent risks of providing information and dealing online and will not hold Edison responsible for any breach of security unless this is a direct result of our negligence or wilful default.
8.3. You must ensure that viruses, trojans, worms or equivalent or similar items do not enter your computer system. We assume no responsibility for any loss, howsoever arising, resulting from such viruses, trojans, worms or equivalent or similar items.
9. Updating personal information
10. Electronic communications
Please remember that internet communications are not secure unless the data is encrypted. We cannot accept any responsibility for the unauthorised access by a third party and/or the corruption of data sent by individuals to Edison. It is your responsibility to determine whether you need to encrypt your data before sending.
11. Social media
We hold pages and accounts on some social media sites to inform, assist and engage with clients and investors. We monitor and record comments and posts made on these channels to help improve our services.
We are not responsible for any information posted on those sites other than information we have posted and do not endorse social media sites, or any information posted on them by third parties or other users.
When engaging with Edison on social media channels, personal data may be stored on that social media site’s servers, which are outside our control. Any information posted to such sites may be accessed and read by the general public. It is not an appropriate forum to discuss clients or investment arrangements. Please note, we will never ask you to share account or password information via social media sites and you should not post such information on those channels.
We regularly update and monitor social media accounts and welcome feedback and ideas submitted via these channels. We endeavour to join the conversation whenever possible, but cannot guarantee to read or reply to all messages sent to official Edison social media accounts.
Emerging themes and helpful suggestions are passed to the relevant people at Edison for consideration, but no guarantee is made that we will act on any proposals.
If any of the streams above follow another user, it does not imply endorsement of any kind.
12. Right to see your information